Okay, this story starts when we found out we were moving. I looked around for day schools in the area and called and put our name on a list last September/October. I thought I was ahead of the game. One day in January, I had John go by the school to see where we were on the list and was told that registration was last Tuesday. I knew through the grapevine that for registration you needed to be there early. It started at 7 a.m., so I assumed that being there at 3 a.m. I would be good.
The week before registration, I found out there was only ONE spot in her classroom, so I needed to be there first. I thought this sounded like a challenge, so I wanted to be there first.
On Monday, I met John at his work and I wanted to run by the school, so I could see in the daylight where I was suppose to wait in line the next morning. As we pulled up, I noticed some people sitting outside in chairs. I thought it was a fluke, so we drove off on our way to Lowe's and to get something to eat. As we were leaving, I told John to pull back up because curiosity had me and I had to know why they were sitting there.
Low and behold, they were sitting there for registration the next morning. It was 5:30 in the afternoon! I began to freak! As I talked with them, I realized someone in front of me had already taken the last spot. I thought I was going to cry, so I went to the car to tell John the news.
We made a quick decision that he would get out and stand in line, so we would be first on the waiting list. He had no chair, no food, but luckily, he had a jacket. I quickly scrambled and got him a chair and some food and fed the baby. He sat from 5:30 until 10 p.m. and I changed spots with him and sat until 7 a.m.
Fast forward many hours, a few cold toes, and no sleep later...registration begins. At this point, I think I am crazy for sitting all night to not even have a spot. I was number 6 in line. As I approach the table and tell them the age group, there is miracle...there is ONE spot left!
We were so excited! She will be starting in June! I am not sure how I am going to do after being home with her for a year, but I am sure she will make lots of friends!
There is a moral to this story...prayer works. We've been praying about this since we found out we were moving. Before moving, we had just made it to the top of the list in Gulfport. We're thankful! And yes, we are crazy! I've never waited in line for anything like this before!
Double Decker 2026
4 months ago



10 comments:
Ashley...you are CRAZY! Just kidding! I cannot believe that y'all sat out there that long! What a fun story to tell IK when she gets older!! So glad it worked out!
Kelli
Ashley-
Oh my gosh that's hilarious. We've already found out how hard it is to get into a good daycare. At least if I have to wait like that, I'll know I'm not the only crazy one!
Ashley,
You're not crazy! Only the best mothers camp out all night in the freezing cold to get their child into Harrisburg in Tupelo. I know the exact story you're telling because I was the crazy friend who supported the mother of a sweet child just two years ago. Yes, I stayed out all night with her to secure HER daughter the ONE spot at that daycare/school. That sweet child will soon be turning 4 and will start her second year at Harrisburg next year. You will be so proud to know how much she'll learn in a Christian environment. I'm proud for both you and Ivy Kate!
Ashley you are something else! I cannot believe you stayed up all night and sat outside waiting in that line. I would have given up at square 1! You are wonder woman!!!
OH MY GOODNESS! she will love that story one day! you are such a precious mommy!!!
That story made me laugh. Sounds like something I would do. SO glad you got a spot. What an answered prayer! I bet IK meets lots of new friends!!!!!
well, i wonder if i should make up a baby name and get on a list now. if it's like that in Tupelo, I might have to camp out for a week in Nashville! You are a good mommy.
OH MY GOSH! what a great story. true example of two parents who LOVE THEIR CHILD!! i'm happy for you!
just told trey this story.
his response:
"here's the question: would YOU wait all night for Sophie?"
haha. sophie is a malti-poo.
hey Ashley! i am so excited about you being in tupelo! we are also going to be neighbors! call me if you need any help moving in, or i could babysit Ivy kate! hope you are doing great!
Post a Comment